7.15.2008

Day One: I feel the world below me looking up at me


Listening: The Kinks, "This Time Tomorrow"


OHMYGOSHIAMSOTIRED.

Now that I have that out of the way, I can tell y'all that we're in Meridian, Idaho, about 10 miles west of Boise. We had a pretty uneventful day except for the whole, uh, leaving at 3:45 this afternoon instead of the 9 am goal we set. Let's just say that I am the queen of procrastinators and I have a short attention span when it comes to packing.

I met R and my B for coffee after dropping my car for tire balancing and rotation (note: no rotation needed! YAY! however, new tire needed. BOO!) and spent an hour with them with stomach in knots and twists. We finally had our quiet goodbyes, bathing in sunshine and the sounds of Broadway bound traffic. I can't really think about that right now as I feel a bit dehydrated from the crying and the sweating.

Anyway, on to less sad things. Hurrah! Mama and I had a great conversation about choices and pathways and empowering yourself to see your own direction. This was as it was getting dark and we were trying so hard to get to Idaho before too late. I kept entertaining myself by posing situations that were completely not feasible. The conversations went something like this:

N: SO! What if a deer ran out into the road right now?!
J: I don't like the thought of that.
N: But what if elk ran out into the road?!?!
J: I don't think that's going to happen.
N: But what if a herd of buffalo suddenly ran out in front of my car?!?! HUH!!
J: Um.
N: OR A WHALE! WHAT IF A WHALE RAN OUT INTO THE ROAD?!!?!
J: . . . . . . .
N: Mom?? Hello???

This is what happens when I get really tired and drive for 7 hours without much of a break. I know you're all SO curious about the playlist (it's inevitable) and the photos from today, so I'll quit with regaling you with tales of my idiocy.

Playlist (Day 1):
Dinner Dinner Everywhere (Mix for Saturday's goodbye dinner)
Mi Querida Amiga (a mix that includes "In California" and "Everybody Knows")

Neil Young - After the Goldrush
Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
M.I.A. - Arular
Joni Mitchell - Blue


And now for two more photos:


Some of Eastern Oregon looks like weird skin folds


Also, this is what Oregon looks like when you're on top of it all





It is entirely past my bedtime, but first a shower. I hope you're all well. Thank you for the warm thoughts and good vibes. We're excited about seeing Utah tomorrow. Maybe I can get Judy to share her wisdoms here one day, too. Y'all should send encouraging messages to lobby her to write here, too. I get tired of me, too. :)

8 comments:

Jerry said...

A and I will definitely be thinking about you. ::big hugs:: Can't wait to see more pics and hear all of the stories that come out of this trip! Love you, boo!

CP said...

3:45!! oooh girl! I could have seen you again! But it's best not. I went home and had some sickness. hehe. I love you so much, and I'm proud of you and grateful that you exist. I hope you have a great day traveling today. That really does look like skin folds.

Unknown said...

neola,

you are awesome. and i'm sure your trip will not lead you through kansas, but if it does, please call me....? would love to meet you and your mama even if it's only for 5 minutes at the gas station for a fillerup.

i went to oregon once...a fellow phi mu friend has a house in Sisters. i went skiing for the first (and probably last) time in my life. it was beautiful up there. but i know you are excited to return to the south...i am jealous!

keep the updates coming!

Randi said...

hey girl, hey. i love those pictures and your writing.

karen said...

Dear Judy,

Please write something for the blog.

Your admirer,

K$

Jason B. Bell said...

"OR A WHALE! WHAT IF A WHALE RAN OUT INTO THE ROAD?!!?!"

Thank you for the laugh and for reminding me of this:

http://www.thetick.ws/images/blowhole.jpg

http://home.jps.net/~lsnyder/3_tick.html#blowhole

Anonymous said...

I hope you're having fun on your trip!! Can't wait to see you when you get here. I miss my cuz. Ya'll be careful!

Anonymous said...

Tired of snarky you?
That's like no drunk unicorns.
I really don't think so.